Monday, July 24, 2006

As Wannabe as I Wanna Be

So. I'm not going to BlogHer. Not really a big decision on my part - I think most of the tickets were sold out before I even started my blog, so it was never really an issue. But that isn't stopping me from joining in on the interview frenzy that has gripped the mommy-blogosphere. I've jumped on board the T.O. Mamas interview-a-thon even though - wait! - I don't actually live in Toronto. Instead, I just lurk out here in the wildlands of Southwestern Ontario, enviously trying to join in on all the hot T.O. Mama action. And since all of us (wannabe) T.O. Mamas will be at BlogHer in spirit, we're linking up our interviews, webring style. You can check out my interview at Metro Mama's place, and I have the honour of interviewing Mother Bumper, mother to a stop-you-in-your-tracks-cute little girl whose intense gaze suggests a spirit that brooks no opposition and takes no prisoners.

BlogMe

So without further ado, here is Mother Bumper!

What is the quality you most admire in a blogger?
Okay, I have this tendency to turn into this beauty-pageant-style answer dingbat so please forgive any cliches or over-enthusiastic type answers I give. To counteract this, I will swear like a sailor. No I won't. Yes I will.

Ahhhh, who am I kidding.... Hell ya, I will swear like a sailor (did I mention I'm really indecisive?).

Anyhoo... that should balance out any vapid answers I give. So here it goes:

Honesty is the quality that I admire most in a blogger. When I originally typed this sentence I had created a huge number of links to bloggers I admire but it got super crazy and out of control. So go and check out my blog links to see what I consider an honest blogger. I don't link to anyone that doesn't strike me as honest and trust me, I've actually read some blogs that make me think "wtf?" and I never go back.

But as I was saying, honesty because I'm being honest so I pretty much expect that from the places I go. How can I tell a blogger is honest?

I can't but there is always a little voice in the back of my head that tells me what rings true, and I've learned to listen to those instinctual voices since having Bumper. They tend to be right, or so it seems. But the voices in my head have asked to stop writing about them so I will (because I must listen to them... they tell me to eat chocolate all the time and I MUST LISTEN).

Anyhoooooo...

Another quality would be a sense of humor in bloggers because too much honesty makes me cry and I can't have that all the time so I've got to have jokes people. I say humor me people!

So to recap I'm looking for honest and funny blogs.

You know that sounds less beauty pageant like and more like a part of my online bio for a dating service. If I had one. Which I don't. Honest! I don't. I'm happily married folks, happily married. See, there I go. Off on a tangent, per usual.

How would you describe your blog?
A mess of tangents and semi-coherent thoughts (I think I called it verbal diarrhea in an earlier post). Also I'd describe it has deadly cute because of the pictures of my daughter, Bumper.

No seriously, I would describe it that way.

How else would I describe my blog. Ummmmm... I have said that I write "bubblegum posts" because I keep it light here at Casa Bump. I've posted about toys, laundry and having my baby drive the car. Heck, I'm so hard up sometimes that I post about the weather and junk food.

I actually have written about more serious things, events that have shaped me into the person I am today. I've taken quite a few knocks and paths less taken in my past, which I have a hard time talking about and this blog has helped me exorcise some demons. I've found a place where I can open up some of the pressure cookers I harbour in a safe environment and the support I've found is completely overwhelming.

I started this blog because I was a lonely new mom in a big city far from family. I didn't fit in with the local moms and I needed to have an outlet. Blogging has done so much for me, more then I could have ever imagined. And I could go on for years about this but now I'm babbling so I'll move on.

Next question pleeeeeeze!

What do you most like about your blog?
The pictures and stories about my daughter. She is what brought me to blogging and she is what keeps me going some days (right over the edge but I'll save that one for an upcoming post).

Also, I love it when I make someone laugh or think about something and then they tell me in the comments. I get so excited when I get comments. Like REALLY excited. My husband finds it weird. But seriously, I get excited about every single one. I want to write each person that comments but Bumper does not afford me that luxury.

And the thing I like the most? I've made friends. Real LIVE friends. And I've met them because I write and they like to read what I write. And I like to read what they write. And I actually get to meet some of them in person. And they aren't middle aged, hairy men with MILF fetishes. Because I'm totally a MILF. Or I'd like to think so. I used to be a cougar but now I'm a MILF, oh yeah.... what was I saying?

What do you regard as the principle defect of your blog?
My tendency to go off on tangents (see any of the above answers for proof) and my poor grammar and lack of speling skilzs in addition to my total disregard for writing good. And I abuse punctuation like nobody's bid-ness!!!!!!

Actually, it's my inability to actually say what I want to say. I lose my nerve a lot. I write these serious and long posts and then I talk myself out of posting them because I'm afraid someone will recognize that it's me and call me out. Or worse, they will make fun of me. You see, I like blogging because I can tell my secrets and still, in a way, maintain my anonymity. But sometimes I think that someone will figure out who I am and then tell the world and it keeps me from telling some of the things I want to talk about. And I get scared.

So the principle defect would be that this blog author can be, at times, a chickenshit.

What character of fiction do you most wish had a blog?
Laura Palmer

Sadly, I can identify with her fucked-up ways and the whole angel-devil angst she suffered in her short fictional life. She was a great diary keeper so a blog would have been a natural progression. Actually, she would probably be more of a MySpace gal but that is neither here nor there.

What historical or real life person do you most wish had a blog?
Edie Sedgewick.

I was completely fascinated with her as a teenager. She was one of the ultimate real-life party girls, who did everything and met everyone. Some say she inspired Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde album. Can you imagine what she would write in her blog? I would be hanging on her every word.

What is your present state of mind as a blogger?
That is a hard one to answer because I suck at self-analysis.

Some days I'm exhausted mentally and don't want to write. But then I sit down and pound out a post and then suddenly I'm happy. And I feel accomplished.

Maybe I'm blogging in order to compensate for my loss of the office watercooler chitchat (one of the few reasons why I actually went to work) and to get the reward of feedback from others.

Hmmmmm... I might be on to something here... I feel a post coming on.... crap, where's my diary when I need it?

What is your blog motto?
Do no harm...unless it's warranted.

whatever (pffftt).

Where would you like to live?
London. I've been obsessed with the UK since I was a young whipper snapper and when I finally went there a few years back, I felt like I was home. I partied in that city like it was going out of style and never got sick of the scene. I was born to live in that city but since it is too bloody expensive, I'd like to live in Thailand. Once again, I felt so comfortable when I was there. The people are beautiful, the country is beautiful, and the food is FUCKING GREAT!

'nuff said.

(I had to put that in there because there wasn't enough swearing in this Q&A).

What do you value in your friends?
Respect and honesty. I actually have survived many a toxic relationship and now I know (at the ripe old age of 37) what a good friend is made up of and what makes a bad friend (even if they appear good).

Good friends don't make you feel bad. Unless you drank the last beer. And then you deserve it.

What is your principle defect?
I am self-deprecating to the point of nausea. Sometimes I hear the words coming out of my mouth and I'm thinking "I'd hit me right about now". But somehow I can't stop.



(Edited to add: Gah! I missed the memo on how to title these posts! Everybody else has lovely titles like "A Piece of Sunshine" while my title reflects the self-absorption that is characteristic of this blog. Because it's about me. Me, me, me!)

13 comments:

Nicole said...

This post is GREAT! The funny part about it is since having my DD - I REFUSE to let an explitive slip out in front of her. So, I say things like "Mother Bumper" meaning "Mother F$#@%^!" sometimes. I also say "Beepity Beep" as though I am censoring my foul mouth when I need to. My husband at times thinks I have gone coo coo for the cocoa cocoa puffs but he writes it off and sometimes even joins in with me when I need a laugh.

Thanks, Mother Bumper, for making me laugh, even when I use your name in vain....

metro mama said...

Great interview Mother Bumper.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at the next TO mama get together.

Julie

kittenpie said...

gorgeous baby, gorgeous mama!

I went and read the two posts you referenced in your "more serious stuff" paragraph - and just wanted to tell you I am totally in the same place as far as trying to learn to think and talk about some stuff I've avoided dealing with, and I'm also using my blog to help myself do it. It feels good, doesn't it? Anyway, just thought I would tell you I get where you're at, though the issues themselves are different.

sunshine scribe said...

I LOVED this interview. Felt like she was sitting around a table with a drink chatting. Cool chick - cool photo too.

Looking forward to meeting ya soon!

Mother Bumper said...

omigod. this is so much fun. I'm loving this!

Thanks for the compliments ladies.

I'm trying to get around to visiting others interviews bumper-permitting of course.

Bub and Pie - you rock!

something blue said...

Wow I would give you my last beer, or french fry or even my very last square of chocolate. That's saying a lot! Because the voices are telling me to eat it.

MB, you are so funny and downright trés cool.

Jezer said...

Ahhh...MotherBumper is one of my favorite girls in town.

And she said "Laura Palmer." Best. Answer. Ever.

Her Bad Mother said...

Bub, I love your title, and your intro (and you).

MotherBumper, you rock. You rocked this interview.

I'm proud that you're a new friend.

J's Mommy said...

great post!

crazymumma said...

Reading you is like have a couple of beers and a great loopy conversation...Anne

tania (urban_mommy) said...

Great interview. And I love the pic.
This is fun eh? I'm loving all the posts.
I love your blog because you have a distinct voice, it sounds like YOU.

Bri said...

So glad I found your blog! Good interview and that pic is soooo sweet!

mamatulip said...

I love the picture, Mother Bumper! And the interview.

And I especially love that you wish Laura Palmer had a blog. I am a huge, huge, HUGE Twin Peaks fan. And it's so hard to find dedicated TP fans these days.