Friday, November 23, 2007

Two Pieces of Pie


For all you Yanks who like a slice of apple and a slice of pumpkin – and to make up for the fact that I desecrated your holiday of thankfulness with yesterday’s litany of complaints – I offer these two pieces of Pie:

She’s The Map!

The Pie is a human equivalent to Dora’s Map. At any given time, she knows where everything is in the house. This is not a trait shared by any of the other members of the family. Bub can be looking right at something and still not know where it is; hubby can step over a laundry basket several times without even noticing that it’s there. But Pie – she knows. Lately, her bedtime requests have been accompanied by increasingly specific instructions. “I want the Other Kitty,” she insists (not be confused with “Kitty,” who always stays in her crib). I head downstairs to look for it and hear her voice on the monitor shrieking helpfully, “It’s in the basement! On the chair!”

Her Tender Heart

The Pie has an exacting schedule for her nightly bedtime stories. The first story (or two) is in Bub’s bed; then we move to the armchair in her bedroom for another story (or two); finally, she gets into her crib to read one last story (or two). Lately, her preference has been for this book:


The story revolves around Newton, a young rabbit who visits his cousins and is subjected to some not-entirely-good-spirited teasing because he refuses to remove his hat (a handsome orange toque). At one juncture his cousin Henry decides that he is “weird” and says, “You’re a pain!”

This always causes Pie a moment of distress. “He’s not a pain!” she squeals, scrambling to her feet in protest.

“No,” I agree. “He’s not a pain. Was that a nice thing for Henry to say?”
“Nooooo,” she intones solemnly. Then she edges over to the side of the crib, rests her head on my shoulder and snuggles in, dismayed perhaps at the meanness of which children are capable, or comforted by our joint condemnation of Henry’s words.

34 comments:

b*babbler said...

Hee... that map feature is going to come in handy when you lose your keys/wallet/mind!

slouching mom said...

I like BOTH those pieces of Pie.

Eva said...

Those are both adorable tidbits. It's great to read things like that so I can look forward to the kids getting a bit older, even as I am sad to lose their babyness.

DaniGirl said...

I like your pie better than the flaky one! (Funny, I blogged about Simon and his quirks today, too.)

Mary Joan Koch said...

Every family needs someone who knows where things are. My second daughter, the scientist, could find things no one had realized were lost. She could do it in friends' houses as well. I would love having those pieces of pie.

painted maypole said...

i wish we had a map-like pie at our house.I would constantly be asking her "where are the car keys?" and "where did I leave my phone?"

Kathryn said...

Awe. Isn't she a sweetie? Such a tender heart.

Jenifer said...

I will never fully understand the general love of pie...give me a cookie any day.

Now your Pie that is another story, I would have an extra helping every time.

Luisa Perkins said...

Ahh, I've been away from you for about a week, and it's nice to be back. I've just caught up on your recent posts; thanks for not giving up blogging even though your life is unbelievably hectic right now.

Patois said...

Having our Pie and eating it (up). A good day, indeed.

Angela said...

Oh, how perfectly bittersweet. Not the pie...the story.

Janet said...

Sometimes pie seems a little more enjoyable the day after Thanksgiving.

Beck said...

Now have her come to MY house and find my keys. I've lost them again.

Lawyer Mama said...

That's a useful talent she has. I have to say both pieces of Pie are sweeter than the ones I had yesterday.

Kyla said...

Sweet, sweet pie.

Julie Pippert said...

Great Pie!

And I want to check out that book.

Julie
Using My Words

Maddy said...

When I saw the title, my first thought was that you'd cooked your children! Maybe that's an overhang from reading Hansel and Gretel last night!
Cheers

Sheila Cason said...

Hi
Love your blog. Blogs like yours inspired the creations of Beauty...on the weblog. I am content to just checking out all the great stuff out there, including your own!

If permitted, I would be honored to include some of your writing and a link.

Niksmom said...

Now *that* is the best pie I've had in ages! And NO CALORIES! ;-)

Mimi said...

She's coming into her own, that Pie.

Someone in every house should know where everything is ...

Lady M said...

Could she come over to our house and find stuff for us?

Marie said...

Personally, I indulged in THREE kinds of pie, apple, pumpkin, and pecan, but of course they were really just slivers. (=

Green Bean can't find something that's staring him in the face, either. My Hero told him the other night that if he found the missing red hairbrush, he'd get to listen to the Veggietales The Hairbrush Song on the computer. Green Bean LONGED to listen to the song, so when I noticed the hairbrush on the bathroom floor under the shower curtain, I did all I could to call his attention to it without telling him. "Look at that bucket lid (that was right next to the hairbrush, almost touching it, on an otherwise uncluttered floor)," I said, pointing. "I wonder where that hairbrush is." Nope. He did not notice the red hairbrush in plain sight before his eyes, even when he was thinking about it. =sigh= He inherited too many of my exasperating traits.

Teah said...

I had three pieces of pie...with whipped cream, but I made it all from scratch (and I'm VERY proud of myself!), so I was entitled - I had to see if it tasted good, right? (Turns out, the trick to a great pecan pie is to toast the pecans first. Yummy!)
Pie sounds fabulous.

edj said...

It must be a girl thing. Even now, Elliot at 12 can't find anything I ask him about, and he's never been able to. Abel is much the same, but Ilsa (now 10) from age 2 or so could be sent to look for things and actually find them!

MamaDrama said...

What a perfect way to use her nickname! I've always loved it, but now it's even better with Pieces of Pie! She is just a love, and it gives me hope for my still-whining-most-of-the-time 18 month old girl who doesn't have many words yet, but has the hugs and tender heart. That is, when she isn't hurling her dolls across the room, a la her Big Brother.

nomotherearth said...

Unfortunately, I am living in a house full of men and no one can find a thing.

Amanda said...

So sweet.

Sarcastic Mom (aka Lotus) said...

I love reading about Pie's personality. She is sweet and tart at the same time. ;-)

I hope I get to have a lil' confection some day.

Catherine said...

I love the play on words. :)

dawn224 said...

I like pecan too :)

Julie said...

I'm a map, too. Hub was looking for our condo documents the other day and I said, "They're in the third drawer down in a yellow file folder about 2/3 of the way back." I hadn't looked in there in MONTHS but somehow I remembered.

It freaks me out.

kittenpie said...

pumpkinpie usually has a good sense of where she left things, too, which is helpful. And she also chimes in with the same comments at the same places in some stories night after night. Things like "That wasn't very nice of him" are pretty commonplace. I do love books as teaching aids...

kgirl said...

Very delicious Pie. Lately we have to turn every outing into a dora episode or Bee won't budge -- first we go through the schoolyard, across the road and over the bridge!
Strange little people, aren't they?

Occidental Girl said...

That was the sweetest thing, how she was "shrieking helpfully" into the baby monitor! Awwww.....