Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kid World

Their Toys:
1 Cars sleeping bag
1 Disney Princess sleeping bag
2 flashlights

Our Toys:
8 issues of Canadian House and Home
1 Benjamin Moore fandeck
1 TV showing Euro Cup soccer

Their Food:
chicken fingers
peaches in a light syrup
peas

Our Food:
three-cheese spinach dip
peppercorn burger
strawberries

Their Conversation:
"This thing? It's a cold pack that you put on a boo boo to make it better. I NEED that because I have a boo boo right here. I'm pretending that it's cold."

Our Conversation:
"Is a money order just as good as a certified cheque? What's the difference between a draft and a certified cheque? I didn't know that you actually needed to bring a regular cheque to the bank in order to get it certified. Did you know that?"

Their Fort:
In the bedroom, made from a blanket, with a campfire in it.

Our Fort:
In the kitchen, with magazines spread out over the island and legal documents all over the kitchen table.

We visited friends this weekend, whose children quickly formed a posse with ours. While the grown-ups nibbled Belgian chocolates and processed the sale of their home, the children disappeared into Kid World, a place with secret rituals that I can no longer fully unfold, even when I stand eavesdropping outside the bedroom door. Kid World is a private place; my presence is not always wanted, so I creep back to the kitchen to sip my tall Americano in peace.

20 comments:

Mouse said...

We have a Cars sleeping bag too. And a flashlight is a required accessory.

I sometimes wonder how I ended up on the "our" side of things.

painted maypole said...

when the kids are in kid world, the parents get to enjoy grown-up world for a while, and that's such a treat.

today MQ and I camped out in a tent (inside) and read with flashlights and such. It was a fun time in kidworld.

Sue said...

The other day my five year old was playing with her Barbies. She was so wrapped up in what she was pretending that she didn't notice me at first. When she finally did, she shot me a look of irritation, considered her options for a minute, then walked over and carefully shut her door.

On other days she'll tell me she needs her privacy and she'll go in another room to play house or polly pockets.

I love those moments where I realize I'm an unwelcome intrusion in their imaginary play. I just love knowing that they can give themselves over to their imaginary life so fully.

the dragonfly said...

Since my son is just a year old and my husband is in Iraq...I feel like I live in kidworld. I sometimes escape late at night when the Little Mister is sleeping, but mostly I stay there, in my thoughts at least. That's not really a bad thing...it's just the way life is.

Bea said...

Dragonfly - That's why it's such a shock when suddenly one day the kids are in kid world and ... you're not.

Katrina said...

Love this. My 9-year-old just commented the other day that he doesn't really want to grow up, because he won't be able to be as "carefree." Blanket forts, flashlights, and secret rituals...carefree, indeed.

Mom101 said...

I think both theirs and yours in tandem sound like a perfect weekend. Chicken fingers included.

Omaha Mama said...

Isn't it great to watch your kids enjoy the very best part of childhood?
Isn't it great to be around other adults and hold adult conversations?

It all sounds, well, great.

Beck said...

That sounds like a wonderful time, although it's very strange to suddenly realize that we are the adults.

Magpie said...

I love eavesdropping on kidworld!

Sarcasta-Mom said...

Good contrast. It's so nice when we get to seperate a littl into "adult world" and "kid world".

Kia said...

Wow. Isn't it amazing when this happens? It's rare around here, but every so often Kid World rears its head...and when it does, it's wonderful. Truly. Full of Wonder.

Cyndi said...

I love to eavesdrop on kids conversations. They just talk about the funniest things.

Julie @ Letter9 said...

I'll take their conversation and your food, please. : )

lildb said...

blogreading = delicious. esp. yours.

oh, how good it is to read you, again.

Adria Sha said...

I'm envious of my kids and their world. I wish I'd appreciated it when I was a kid!

Kimmie said...

Sounds good all around...childlike fun...sweet.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Kelly said...

This morning my children thoroughly disappeared into Kid World. It is something that happens so seldom, I could cry for the joy of it.

Janet said...

I love eavesdropping on KidWorld. Even better if there are Belgian chocolates to nibble while doing so.

Antique Mommy said...

Yes, and these two worlds are sometimes tangent, sometimes overlapping and at other times one world only orbits around the other. But never very far apart.